Your physician has requested a test that requires a complete 24-hour collection of urine.
This collection must be performed in a very specific manner to assure accurate and reliable test results. For some tests, the Patient Service Center staff may also have to collect a blood sample before or after the urine collection, and they may also require you to provide other information (such as a current height and weight).
Please familiarize yourself with the following instructions before beginning the collection process:
- Please note that some samples will require that the Patient Service Center staff add a preservative to the container prior to collection. Some preservatives are extremely irritating, and patients are cautioned not to urinate directly into the collection container.
- Some collections may require you to refrigerate the sample during the collection process, even if a preservative has been added.
- When beginning the collection, your bladder should be emptied upon arising in the morning. Discard this urine. Note the time and date on the jug’s label.
- From this time on, collect all urine passed throughout a 24-hour period and pour it into container provided. Remember that you should not urinate directly into the container, as the preservative could be harmful if splashed on skin.
- The final collection should be made upon emptying bladder the following morning at the same time the test was begun the previous day.
- If an additional container is necessary for complete collection, a clean glass jar may be used.
- The entire specimen should be delivered to the Patient Service Center as soon as possible after collection is complete.>/li>
- Some procedures require a current height and weight of the patient being tested. Please bring this information with you to the Patient Service Center.
- Some procedures require that a concurrent serum sample be drawn. Generally speaking, this sample must be drawn within 24 hours of the time that the urine collection is completed.
If you forget or accidentally fail to save some of the specimen, return the container to the Patient Service Center for another. There will be no extra charge.
For complete instructions, please view the PDF linked below.