Read ALL instructions carefully before taking a stool (fecal) sample.
IT’S IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW ALL OF THE STEPS:
If you aren’t able to take the sample as directed, it might affect the accuracy of the results. If you are currently experiencing obvious rectal bleeding (red spots of blood), please wait until after the bleeding has stopped to complete your test.
YOU DON’T NEED TO CHANGE OR RESTRICT YOUR DIET OR MEDICATIONS TO DO THIS TEST.
- Unfold and put the large collection tissue paper inside the toilet bowl on top of the water.
(Don’t use the small absorption pad included in the return envelope - you’ll need that for something else later.)
- Have a bowel movement so that the stool (feces) falls on top of the collection paper.
- Take a sample of your stool (feces) before the paper sinks. Here’s how:
- Open the provided sample bottle by gently twisting and lifting the cap straight out. The sample probe should be attached to the green cap. The grooved green tip of the sample probe will be used to take the sample from your stool.
- DO NOT EMPTY THE LIQUID IN THE SAMPLE BOTTLE. This liquid is a preservative and needed by the lab to process your sample.
- Scrape the surface of the stool (feces) with the sample probe. Be sure to cover the grooved portion of the sample probe completely with stool. This is your stool (fecal) sample.
- Gently insert the cap with sample probe into the sample bottle. Push in the cap until you hear it click into place. Do not reopen. If some sample has gotten on the outside of the bottle, please wipe it off before mailing the sample bottle to us.
- Flush the toilet. (Collection tissue paper will not harm septic systems.)
- Fill in the label on the sample bottle. PRINT your name, age/birthdate and date the sample was collected in the spaces indicated. Circle your gender. Please print clearly and neatly.
- You must include the date your sample was collected in the DATE OF COLLECTION section on the lab order form.
- Place your sample bottle and small absorption pad inside the small plastic bio-hazard bag. Then insert the plastic bag inside the return envelope provided. Place the lab order form in the same envelope.
NOTE: Your sample cannot be processed without a collection date and a lab order form. Seal the envelope. Mail the envelope immediately after collection or return to the lab within 3 days.
For complete instructions, please click the link below to view PDF.